ANIMAL FEED ANALYTICAL AND QUALITY ASSURANCE LABORATORY,
- To analyze nutrient profile, contaminants, adulterants and mycotoxins in feed/feed ingredients
- To counsel for effective utilization of analyzed results
- To advise on nutrition related problems of livestock and poultry farmers
- To run the laboratory on cost- effective basis
Details of the Centre : Department / Unit
Animal Feed Analytical and Quality Assurance Laboratory' was started on 14th April 1994 in the hospital premises of Veterinary College and Research Institute, Namakkal and now works in its own building at college premises. Namakkal, a strong layer poultry belt and having a good dairy activity around did not have a facility to test the feeds meant for poultry and livestock. The feed ingredients purchased in large quantities to meet the demand of about 80+ lakh layers (during 1993-94) were used without any analyzing facility for their nutrient contents, adulterants, contaminants or mycotoxins resulting in nutritional deficiencies or disorders leading to diseases. Considering these necessities, Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University started this laboratory for testing feed/feed ingredients for their proximate components and mycotoxins on cost-effective basis for the benefit of Poultry/Livestock farmers. In due course of time, the type of analyses increased from 12 parameters to 54 parameters now, covering a wide range of analytical parameters.
- Estimation of proximate principles
- Estimation of major and trace mineral contents
- Quantification of mycotoxins
- Quantification of contaminants and adulterants
- Quantification of fat soluble and B-complex vitamins
- Estimation of Omega 3 fatty acids
- Quality of feed grade oils
- Quality of water
- Computerized feed formulation
- Technical advises to poultry farmers and
- Coordinating with other departments on research activities
Salient Achievements and Works
- Multimycotoxin quantification in single simplified quick procedure and results within 24 hours.
- B-complex and fat soluble vitamin quantification in vitamin premixes.
- Results for other tests generally sent by SMS within 24-36 hrs based on the type of analysis.
- Soluble protein analysis in soybean meal as a tool of assessment of its quality.
- ISO 17025 certified lab during 2006-07 and 2007-08; presently involved to go for NABL accreditation.
- New own spacious laboratory building at college campus.
- Number of samples received for analysis is increasing showing awareness amongst the farmers.
State of the Art Facilities Available
- Semi Automated Kjeldhal Distillation Unit
- Semi Automated Ether Extraction, Fibre Analysis Unit
- UV Visible Spectrophotometer
- Spectrofluro Meter
- High Performance Liquid Chromatography
- Gas Chromatography
- Liquid Chromatography Mass Spectrometer –Mass Spectrometer
- Feed analysis and quality assurance
- Formulations for different classes of livestock and poultry.
- Suitable advises on technical aspects of feed manufacturing, feeding etc.
- Weather based advisory to the local poultry industry and agricultural farming, twice a week covering all seven days, with India Meteorological Department as 100% funding agency and collaborating with PDDSL and KVK, Namakkal and production departments of VC&RI, Namakkal-2.
|Name of the Course
||FEED ANALYTICAL TECHNICAL ASSISTANT
||Bachelor Degree In Science Subjects Or Bachelor Degree In Any Subjects With Feed Milling Experience
|Medium of Instructions
|Date of Start
||Government Lab – 6
Private Lab – 3
||Batch – I (25.11.2011 to 22.02.2012) – Candidates –7
Batch – II ( 09.07.2012 to 08.10.2012) – Candidates –3
||Feed Mill quality control laboratories & Hatcheries
- Integrated Agrometerological Advisory services
- Modernization /upgradation of Animal feed analytical laboratory for testing of animal/poultry products funded by APEDA.
Dr. A.Natarajan, Professor and Head
Dr. R.P.Senthil Kumar, Assistant Professor
Dr. R.Kavitha, Assistant Professor